Friday, August 24, 2012

Back To School

It is that wonderful time of year again: back to school. Bus drivers are getting their dormant busses back in service, teachers are getting their lesson plans written, parents and kids are shopping for school supplies, and commuters are bracing for worse traffic. 

For the previous two summers, this time of year has passed uneventfully for me. This year is very different. I will be starting a brand new job on Monday, just as all the kids in my area are headed back to class. It brings to the forefront of my mind that tangible feeling of excitement and anticipation I had every fall when I started a new school year. This year, I may not have to buy #2 pencils, paper, or a new calculator, but I will be learning quite a bit as I settle into my new role. 

I am a little sad to give up my self-guided schedule and workload, but I wasn't making much headway earning a living wage as a writer and illustrator. My cats were thrilled to have me home with them (they took turns "managing" me), and I wonder who will be more upset about working outside the house every day: me or them. Maybe my new employer will let me bring them to the office if we have a "bring your child to work day". I can teach them all about careers in the IT field while they blink at me and drift off for another nap. Or maybe not.

In all seriousness, trading my time for a paycheck is something I wondered if I would ever do again. After leaving my last employer, I had real doubts if I'd ever go back into the IT field because my experience had been so stressful. I really wanted to make it as a writer and artist, but I discovered I was not good at marketing myself, or managing my time when left to my own devices. A big part of my problem was the fact that I didn't take my "work" seriously so I let everything and everyone interrupt me. I downplayed my work since I wasn't earning a six figure income (or even a four figure income!). 

In spite of the fact that I didn't "make it" as a self-employed individual, I am not bitter about my decision to go back to the 9-5 working world. The difference this time is I researched the company and I knew what I was getting into. I knew my past experience would be helpful and I could do real, productive, creative work. And I had to admit to myself that I did miss being a technical expert. I don't look at my decision as giving up on my self-employment; I look at this as an opportunity to expand my experience and have enough spare cash to invest in my writing or other business ideas. 

I still firmly believe the way to financial independence is through self-employment, but that path isn't for everyone. It isn't for me right now, but I know I can make a go of it again when the circumstances in my life are better aligned. In the meantime, I need to get my pen and paper ready to take notes from my new teammates, and I have to get the perfect outfit ready to wear. Now I have to hope I can get through all the traffic...

No comments:

Post a Comment