Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fleece - The Magnetic Fabric

What sound does a fleece blanket make? When you wrap up in a warm, soft piece of fabric on a cold evening, is there a silent message that goes out? My cats seem to think so. I can be sitting on the couch, no cats in sight, and I put a fleece blanket on my lap. Suddenly, as if drawn by a siren's song, my cats are there. Neo wants under the blanket, Ixie merely wants to lie on top, or knead me and the blanket. Murphy enjoys long naps on our bed with a choice of not one, but two fleece blankets. With all the fleece choices, it's a tough life for these cats!
Ixie enjoys being under the blanket now and then
I'm not sure when this magnetic attraction starts in a cat's life, or if all cats are drawn to fleece. Maybe it's like catnip...only some felines are affected. One thing I do notice is cats have a built-in knack for seeking comfort.

Ixie showing how to be properly comfortable
When we had a leather couch a few years ago, the cats flat out refused to sit on it until I put their fleece blankets down. Then they snuggled in and went right to napping. On our fabric couches, they don't mind sleeping on <gasp> bare fabric, but they usually cuddle on a fleece blanket if one is made available. On our bed, they will sleep on the sheets, but usually prefer to be near or on the fleece.

Murphy has mad fleece skillz: he spans two fleece blankets and a pair of pants!
I couldn't tell you where or why the fleece attraction began with cats, but I have seen first hand with all three of my kitties just how strong the fleece magnetism is. Want a cat in your lap quicker than you can say "tuna surprise"? Toss a fleece blanket on. They'll come runnin' (or, at least a brisk trot). Warm, cozy, cat-approved fleece....it's hard to beat on a cold winter's day.

Murphy resting peacefully on the popular green fleece
Neo demonstrating the "Olympic Diver" tuck during an intense napping session....on fleece
Neo showing the same napping form on the previously mentioned green fleece

No comments:

Post a Comment