Thursday, May 17, 2012

So Long Facebook


Facebook’s IPO is coming soon to a stock exchange near you. Will you buy into the social media megastar? According to a recent poll, plenty of folks think the company is as overinflated as a used car sales pitch. Some believe the glory days of Facebook will soon be in the rear view mirror. I’m not sure where I stand about their value. I just know I am done with Facebook.

I opened my account back in 2007, before it was a household name, and before it was the “in” thing. A friend at work had some cool pictures of his motorcycle he wanted share, and the best way to do that was to get a Facebook account. I largely ignored the account until more friends discovered the service in 2008. I started by posting a few things here and there. My posts increased in frequency in 2009 and throughout 2010. Then in late 2010 I found the Facebook app. Wow! I could post pictures and comments anytime I wanted from anywhere! I could share the picture of the cheeseburger I was eating.  My poor cats were becoming famous, whether they wanted to be or not.

Around the middle of 2011, I started to slow down. I was not fond of recent changes Facebook made, and the mobile app was becoming useless. I finally got fed up and deleted the app from my phone. This forced me to make posts only when I was logged in to my computer at home. Pretty soon, I quit logging in every day. Here’s the interesting part: I didn’t miss it. In 2012, I deleted my personal data and all my pictures. To be honest, my concern was growing about how Facebook would use my information and images.

The less I used Facebook, the more I started to ponder what it meant to me. I realized something a bit disturbing about myself. When I was a frequent poster, I was inching ever closer to the dangerous precipice of narcissism. If I posted something I thought was totally awesome and didn’t get immediate responses or enough responses (whatever that meant), it made me depressed. In addition, I felt like I had to comment on all my friends’ posts. It was starting to feel more like work and less like fun.

Today, I am happy and healthy without a daily dose of Facebook. I can concentrate on my pursuits, like this blog, and my Flickr page. I’ll still keep in touch with friends and family, but I’ll do it a way I see fit. Facebook has a good thing going, and for a free service it is hard to beat. In the end, it all comes down to how you use it. Your mileage might vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment