Thursday, May 31, 2012

Where Does TheTime Go?


I totally missed my self-imposed deadline for posting today’s blog (my goal is to get it online before 10am every day). I worked feverishly on what to write late into the evening yesterday. Words just wouldn’t cooperate. I had a serious case of writer’s block. At least it made me feel like a real writer. Here I was, deadline approaching and I had nothing to offer but muddled phrases and clichés. What is a writer to do?

I was still stuck this morning, so I took a walk around the pond near my house. As I strolled along, I took pictures of the various flowers, birds, and other suburban wildlife that lives there. Shortly after beginning my walk, I received a phone call. As I chatted with my stepson, I barely took notice of the scenery, except to take a picture of a turtle or duck as I went along. After I got off the phone, I realized I’d made it all the way around the lake and was a block from home. Wow…that went fast! Chatting with someone made the walk go by much quicker.

As I walked in the door, it hit me. Write today’s blog about time. Where does our time go? Why do some days seem to pass like an eternity and some zip by in seconds? Does time really speed up as you get older? For me, the answer is yes. Years seem to go by much faster than they used to. I feel more of a sense of urgency to get things done because I am older. I still have a lot of life left, for sure, but not as much as I did ten years ago.

And now it seems my brain has come to a stop again; words are coming more slowly. Time, once again, feels different. It seemed to take no time at all to come up with three paragraphs, and now, it feels slow and clumsy. So before I make a total mess of this, I’ll take my leave. Have a great Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment