Sunday, October 20, 2013

And the Red Sox.....WIN!!

Game 6 of the ALCS was a nail biter. My husband and I realized early in the series between Boston and Detroit that we could NOT watch the games on TV (yes, I have sports superstitions).  Any games we saw on TV (even a part of the game), the Red Sox lost. Given that last night was an important game for Boston, we did NOT watch the game on TV, but rather listened on the radio. Things were going along great, but then it took a turn for the not-so-good. We went to bed and quit listening; hoping for a miracle. I was reading a book in another room when my husband called out that Shane Victorino hit a grand slam. Excited? No, I was dancing-on-the-ceiling-head-in-the-clouds thrilled! But we had two more innings to get through. We decided to go to sleep and hope the pitchers could get it done for Boston. I slept restlessly all night. It was like trying to sleep when you're a child hoping Santa would bring you that pony you always wanted. When I got up, I learned the news....I got my pony! The Red Sox were going to the world series. I am still grinning ear to ear watching the highlights on TV. 

I am a card carrying member of the Red Sox Nation (really, the card is in my purse and goes everywhere with me). I haven't always been a Red Sox fan. I was born and raised near the biggest city in Georgia, so I'm a life-long Braves fan.  A few years ago when I met my husband, I started following the Sox. I loved their spirit, their storied history, and I felt right at home when the team won big or went down in flames now and then (Braves fans will understand; the Braves can shine bright, and can flop majestically). You can find Boston Red Sox fans all over the world; their fan base is even bigger than the Brave's organizationI also love the color red. And the most important fact: the rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees. Here were a group of fans who snarled at the Yankees as much as I did!

The 2013 season for the Red Sox has been absolutely amazing. Manager John Farrell's leadership has led to a tremendous turn-around in the team's spirit and attitude from the sad finish of the 2012 season under the previous skipper. Many of the media talking heads have been going on about the team's worst-to-first turnaround. For fans, it has been a fantastic ride. And the euphoria of the 5-2 win last night against the Tigers is the type of feeling you want to hang on to for a lifetime. The world series won't start until Wednesday, so right now it about that special celebratory feeling of a "oh-wow-that-did-just-happen" type of win. 

I have enjoyed the "Fear the Beards" campaign the Red Sox started early in the season. The jovial tugging on the beards of players who score runs really shows what animated personality the Red Sox have. And seeing the fans get into the act with real and fake beards makes me smile. My favorite has to be Mike Napoli's beard because it has the quality of being neatly trimmed while still being long and luxurious  But I have to say, all the guys look pretty darn handsome with their beards. Call me biased, but I think the Boston Red Sox have the best looking players in all of MLB. 

I love all the Red Sox players. Jarrod Saltalamacchia has the longest name in the MLB which is pretty cool. "Salty" has made so many awesome doubles and the occasional key home run. I've also enjoyed watching some of the amazing plays Stephen Drew has made during the regular season and especially during the play-offs. Dustin Pedroia seems super human at times in his great defensive plays. Big Papi - what can I say about the Red Sox DH? He is like a grizzly bear scaring the wits out of pitchers with his home runs and grand slams, and also like a teddy bear you want to  hug. I could go on and on about all the great players...that is one of the things I love about the Red Sox: ALL the players have participated in the team's success.

I'm still floating on that winning feeling this morning. As the World Series approaches, I have to figure out what superstitious things will be necessary to give the Red Sox the edge. One thing I know for sure: it's going to be a magical series this year. Go Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment