Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy 2015

The new year has arrived, even if you didn't stay up to usher it in. I stayed up until about an hour before and decided to go to sleep. I figured the new year could figure out how to arrive without my help and revelry. Thankfully no one in my neighborhood shot off fireworks all night long; it was a welcome change of peace and quiet. 

In addition to the stress of remembering to write "2015" on our checks (does anyone even write checks anymore?), we are bombarded with newsies talking about resolutions, tons of "get fit" advertising, and friends/family asking us "what are your New Year's resolutions?" It reminds us of all the things we didn't get done in the previous year. It can be a bit overwhelming.

I have an easy answer for this annual question: none. I have no resolutions. I find the concept a tired, silly idea that doesn't do anyone much good (except all those fitness clubs that get people to sign up and never come back). Let's face it, if you are waiting for an excuse or a reason or a specific holiday to get in shape or quit smoking or eat healthy food, you are kidding yourself. If you haven't done these things already, you aren't likely to stick to the new habits just because the new year has arrived and you made a resolution. To be fair, some people *do* stick to their resolutions and change their lives. Most of us, however, go right back to the lifestyle we've been living.

Why is this? Maybe it's because the human brain is wired for "routine". We like things to be normal, regular, and predictable. When they aren't, our brain has to work harder to sort things out. Or maybe we've become lazy in this day of instant information and smart phone "dumbing-down". If it takes more than 10 minutes to lose weight, we give up on it. I'm guilty of this frustration myself. I've been trying to get into better shape for a few years. I have tried different methods (couch to 5k, elliptical, treadmill, swimming, yoga, horseback riding, and walking), but I always let something knock me off my "game". I say let something knock me off because that is what happens. I'm in control of my life (with a few exceptions like health emergencies), so if I get out of the habit of exercising, it is my issue. I have no one else to blame.

So what is one to do? What do I do? Take small steps; don't try to do a sweeping overhaul of your life. Enlist the support of any friends or family members that want to help you make changes. Want more exercise without hitting the gym? Use the stairs instead of elevators. Park farther from your destination and walk just a few minutes more every day. Do some simple stretching exercises at your desk. Get up and take a coffee or tea break a few more times. Walk over to a co-worker's desk instead of IM'ing or emailing. Eat just a little bit less each meal, and snack on fruit instead of a bag of chips. Treat yourself every so often to keep cravings at bay. For me, I'm a lot less likely to scarf down a bag of potato chips if I've allowed myself to eat a small portion of tortilla chips and some salsa as an afternoon snack. For breakfast, I usually have a bowl of oatmeal with honey, raisins, and dried cranberries. Some mornings I'll mix it up and make a smoothie (frozen fruit, honey Greek yogurt, a banana, and a dash of fruit juice). Variety helps keep "bad food" cravings at bay too. 

This isn't a glamorous method, and it won't get me on the morning news shows, but it has worked for me. I've been able to maintain a consistent weight for the past two years. I'm brainstorming for an exercise (or exercises) I can stick with for more than a week. I'm thinking of doing elliptical in the morning and yoga in the evening. And I always look for that parking spot waaaaay in the back of the lot. Unless it is 16 degrees and snowing. Then I might look for a mid-parking lot space instead. I'm not resolving to do anything exciting. I'm not resolving to "remake" my life. I'm resolving to keep living the life I love and be happy with that. And if friends or family ask about your New Year's resolutions, tell them "resolutions are soooo 2014." Have a Great New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment