Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving 2015

Another stuff-your-gut holiday has come and is fading. We had it pretty easy today since we did not travel and did not have to deal with family politics (except for a quick tussle between Murphy and Ixie).
Once again I turned my back on the typical Thanksgiving fare in favor of something less turkey based. I spent the afternoon creating a homemade loaf of bread and scratch made lasagna. I had a lot of fun, and I knew exactly what when into the meal.
This Thanksgiving I am thankful for my husband, my home, having food in the fridge, and clothes on my back. I am also thankful for my family, friends, and my feline pals. I am thankful to live in an awesome country, and for the men and women who protect us. I am also thankful for my health. 
I recently had a funny health "scare". It wasn't outright terrifying, but rather a tad worrisome. I had a funny extra sliver of nail growing under one of my nails on my left hand. It had been there literally over a decade. All was well until the main nail quit growing normally and started to break all the time. I finally got so annoyed I saw my doctor. She referred me to a dermatologist who knew what it was. The shocker was this sort of thing is normally cancerous. The good news was I'd had it so long, the likelihood of it being cancer was pretty slim (since I was still alive). However, just to be sure, they recommended a biopsy. Long story short, they numbed my finger and removed the whole nail. They took a piece of flesh from the nail bed and sent it away for a check. A week later I had the good news: it was NOT cancerous. Now I just had to take care of the nail as it healed and a fresh nail grew out. It reminded me how important good health is.
Hopefully you have plenty to give thanks for this year. I know I do.
These turkeys are thankful they live in New England where it is safer

No comments:

Post a Comment