Monday, November 23, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Apologies for planting that Christmas earbug in your brain. But I feel like this can be a wonderful time of the year. I was at the grocery store today for my weekly food shopping (it wasn't as bad as last week's trip). At checkout, they had a kit people could purchase for $10 that gave needy families all the trimmings for a Thanksgiving dinner. The families received the trimmings box for free and received a coupon for a turkey at a big discount. The clerk was so happy I bought one of the kits; she even said "Thank you and God bless you". I'm not a religious person (I am spiritual, but not religious), but I always appreciate any blessings I receive. Also, it was nice to hear "God bless you" in this day of political correctness gone amuck. I can use all the blessings I get!
For me, this time of the year is not about Black Friday sales, crazy door busters, or cramming too much food down my gut. I actually get annoyed trying to shop for normal stuff this time of year because I have to fight through crowds of people who are lost in a frenzy of shopping. I do all my necessary shopping early in the morning or later in the evening when the crowds are somewhat tamer. For me, this time of year means helping others when possible. My husband and I try to donate to Toys for Tots and food drives every year. I even donated blood last year around Christmas. I hope to do the same this year.  
As a child, I was lucky enough to have great Christmases filled with family, decorations, fun presents, and can't-wait-to-eat-another-bite food (I am a Southerner and had several awesome cooks in my family including my Mom, my Aunt Tootie, and my step-Granny; all three have passed on and I miss them). Since my family is down South and I currently live near Boston, I don't travel to see family at Thanksgiving or Christmas. This has been the case every year since I moved to Seattle in 1999 (the last time I gathered with family for Thanksgiving and Christmas was 1998). Also, I have significantly less family than I did a decade ago, and they are pretty well spread out across Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi. My husband is in the same boat. We enjoy having a quiet, no-travel-hassle kind of Thanksgiving. We don't really celebrate Christmas (no gifts); it is a quiet day off from work.
There are little things that make this time of year special for me. I used to eat peppermint ice cream at my Aunt Tootie's house around Christmas. As far as I remember, that was the only time of year you could get it. Nowadays, I can find it at the grocery store any time, but when I eat it, the taste still triggers happy Holiday memories of long ago. Eggnog is another special treat this time of year. I usually buy at least one container of eggnog (no more than 1/2 gallon at a time) every year. Sometimes I put a bit of "adult" beverage in it, and sometimes I drink it straight. I also love to admire the Christmas lighting folks do on their houses and yard. Some folks keep it simple, and some make the power company smile with glee at the over-the-top light show they put on. We ordered a Christmas tree this year since I wanted to have tangible nostalgia from my childhood. My challenge will be putting cat friendly decorations on it. No glass ornaments for us!
While you may get sick and tired of hearing worn out holiday tunes, and you can't bear to see another Black Friday or Christmas sale ad on TV, there are some special things that make this a wonderful time. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. And remember to say NO to fake reindeer.

No comments:

Post a Comment