Sunday, June 21, 2020

Buddy's Story - Episode III

In the fall of 2018, Buddy was doing well, and adjusting to life as a spoiled kitty. I had earned his trust enough that I could pet him for short periods! I was also able to get a quick flea treatment on him, known by cats everywhere as "the squidge" (liquid med that goes on the back of the neck).

In early November, I was dealing with the news that my Grandmother was sick again. She was in the hospital due to a fall. I couldn't get over to visit her, but I was getting updates from my Dad. At the same time, I was starting to worry about Buddy. His eating was slowing down, and he started to appear more lethargic. It bothered me so much, I called the vet's office to see if I could bring him in that day. 


Buddy enjoyed his cozy bed. He started sleeping in the open more.
The vet was able to get me an appointment that afternoon. I pulled out the carrier and Buddy DID have life left in him....he retreated to the larger closet, hissing and spitting at me the whole time. Apologetically, I managed to get him into the carrier. I told the vet that he would need to be sedated since he was still not handleable. They took him and said they would let me know what was wrong.

Later, I received a call that was both good and bad news. Good news: Buddy wasn't deaf! Bad news, he had SEVERE infections in BOTH ears AND most of his teeth were broken or infected. He would need dental surgery asap. They were able to put a heavy, waxy medication in both ears (called an Oto-pack) to treat the ear infections. They also gave him an antibiotic injection to help with the oral infections. No wonder he'd stopped eating! It hurt! They also had to give him subcutaneous fluids.


Buddy was slowing down and was eating less. I was very worried!
I brought Buddy home later that day, and he was happy to be back in safe surroundings. It took another day or so before his full appetite returned. His interactions also became more agreeable. His dental surgery was set for the following week. I wasn't looking forward to it, but I knew it would help Buddy in the long run. 

In the next episode, I'll describe how Buddy decided to explore the house, but he wedged himself in the basement, under the stairs. His dental appointment was the next day so I had to get creative to get him to come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment