Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Photography Swap


I recently made a decision to get out of the D-SLR market and buy into the 4/3 (mirrorless) camera system. I sold all my digital SLR gear and used the proceeds to invest in a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 with a 45-200 lens. So far, I have been extremely pleased with my decision.

I started shooting when I was about 11 or 12 with a 110 film camera (remember those?). I worked my way up to a Nikon 6006 SLR in the mid 90s. I started with negative film and later discovered the joys of slide film. I learned how to shoot pictures by reading the in-camera meter and using f-stops and shutter speed to get just the exposure and effect I wanted. Later I switched to digital. Now I use my iPhone to shoot candid pictures and my new 4/3 camera to shoot nature or vacation pictures. I also own a Canon D10 underwater camera and a Lumix DMC-TZ4 point and shoot.

When I purchased the Lumix G3, I did not buy the kit because many online reviews gave mediocre ratings to the included lens (the newer 14-42mm lens). Instead I purchased the body and a 45-200 lens (as a bonus, all my 52mm filters fit on the new lens). I’ve been shooting with the Lumix G3 for about a month and the only complaint so far is I haven’t been able to master manual focus (but I also haven’t read the entire manual). I’ve owned a Lumix DMC-TZ4 for three years, and I find the Lumix G3 very easy to use since the controls are not too different from the TZ4. I plan to purchase additional lenses, and I might also buy the flash if I start doing more indoor shooting.

I am very pleased about the quality of the photos and the sharpness of the 45-200 lens. The camera and lens are light enough to carry for hours, but it retains a good, solid heft when shooting (I don’t feel like I’m using a toy).

Pink wild roses
Painted turtle
For me the true test will be enlarging some of the raw shots from the Lumix G3 to see how sharp and clear the images are. With slide film, I can enlarge to 12x18 without much loss in quality or too much noise. If I can enlarge the images from the Lumix G3 to that size, I will be tickled pink. Stay tuned to see how it goes!   

No comments:

Post a Comment