Thursday, June 7, 2012

Why Do Women Love Horses?


I’m not sure about all horse women, but for me, the horse craze started when I was a young girl. As far back as I can remember, I loved horses. I think I inherited it from my Mom; she always appreciated them. When I was a little girl, about 7 or so, I asked my Mom for a horse. It was an easy sell because she wanted one too. She took some riding lessons and found out about a horse for lease. From those humble beginnings, a life long passion for these beautiful animals was cemented.

So what is it about horses and women? For me, there is a feeling of power when riding a horse. I enjoy the feeling of controlling a sentient being that is much larger than I. But it isn’t a mean-spirited, domineering power. It is the power of partnership with another being. There is also a mutual feeling of trust that is established in this partnership. The horse trusts me to keep him out of danger and lead him on the right path. I trust that the horse will take my direction, but also pay attention to what is around him. Many years ago, I was riding my horse, Tequila Sunrise, and I was headed down the wrong trail. He suddenly stopped and stood still. This was out of character for him so I let down the reins and told him “take over”. He turned around and found the correct trail so we could get home.

Communication between horse and rider is usually silent, and relies heavily on touch. This connection between animal and human is connectivity like no other. When I used to ride my own horse, I rarely used a saddle. I felt closer to my horse riding bareback. With the use of the reins and my legs, I could guide my horse wherever I wanted him to go. Years later when I was taking English riding lessons, I used my reins gently, but used my legs and seat bones to communicate to my lesson horse to get her to halt, speed up, or slow down. Even when doing “groundwork” with my horse, I knew how to tell the horse what to do without trying to outmuscle him. When you learn to speak in a language the horse understands, they are very good listeners.

I don’t have a horse right now to ride, but I still get excited when I see one, even a statue of one. When I lived near Seattle, I volunteered for a year at a horse rescue and I loved it. I didn’t ride any of the rescue horses, but just being around them was soothing and peaceful for me. Being able to groom and share time with such a graceful being was always magical. Horses are a lot of work, but they’ve given me a lifetime of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment