Monday, June 11, 2012

Today’s Blog Is Cancelled Due To Vacationitis


I’m not only late posting today’s blog, but it has taken me all morning just to figure out what to write. I’m afraid I’ve come down with a case of vacationitis. It is all I can do just to get words onto “paper”.

Vacationitis is an affliction that tends to manifest itself right after you get back from a nice long vacation, and you realize you need to get back to “normal” life. When I still lived in Seattle, I would come down with severe vacationitis after coming back from visiting my family down South. I was only able to visit every other year, so when I did go, it was very hard to get back in the groove of things (I was in a funk for many days). It made me realize how much I missed “home” and my family.

More recently I came home from a weeklong trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I love the beach and the ocean, so this was a lot of fun for me. As a kid, my family often visited the beaches in Florida, but this was my first time visiting the Outer Banks. We stayed right on the beachfront, so I could walk in the sand and water anytime. It was soothing to hear the waves at night and see the sun rise in the morning. It was VERY hard to re-adjust to normal life after such a restful trip.

One of my favorite places to go when I was little was my Grandmother’s house in rural Alabama. She lives on five acres of stunningly beautiful land with a wide creek flowing by. Her house is equally beautiful and very peaceful. You can walk around the woods, or go canoeing, or just sit and listen to the symphony of wildlife. As a child, I used to cry going home because I loved being there so much.

Vacationitis can strike without warning and last for several days after returning from a trip. There is no known cure, but the best way to cope is slowly return to your normal routine, and start planning the next vacation. Indulging in a nice warm bath or a bowl of ice cream are also helpful ways to cope. For me, I’ll indulge in a Snickers Ice Cream Bar and get back to my writing so tomorrow’s blog will be on time.

Sunrise over Kill Devil Hills, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment